Volunteer Spotlight: Terry Labar

Introducing Terry Labar, a docent at the National Museum of the Marine Corps: 




"I'm really honored to be able to talk to people from all walks of life about the Marine Corps, and what it means to our country and the various sacrifices Marines have made to ensure our freedoms." 

How long have you been volunteering at the Museum? 

I've been volunteering here for about a year now.

What made you decide to volunteer with the Museum?

My wife told me to. Actually, I am a retired Marine myself and my wife suggested I become a docent. She was already working at the Museum and thought I would enjoy it. I went through the training and enjoyed learning the history and meeting new people, so I stayed with it.

 What is your favorite memory at the Museum?

When the South Korean President, Moon Jae-In came to visit the Chosin Memorial. He gave a great speech about how he wouldn't be alive if it weren't for the Marines at Chosin who decided to take the South Korean refugees with them to safety. It reminded me of why Marines do what they do. 

What is your favorite gallery/artifact in the Museum?
 
World War II, because it is my main area of interest, and I do a lot of research on that subject. I find it interesting because it is where the Marines forged a reputation. 

Comments