Volunteer Spotlight: Frank Marr

Introducing Frank Marr, a docent at the National Museum of the Marine Corps: 

Frank Marr (on right) with Marines

How long have you been volunteering at the Museum? 
I have volunteered at the Museum since the day it opened.  I was part of the original 13-week training class conducted at the Ferlazzo Building in Prince William County.

What made you decide to volunteer with the Museum?

I joined the Museum because I have an interest in history and the military part of our history.  I am a retired Army officer who attended the USMC Command and Staff College in the mid70s so there was distinct connection between my military life and the Corps.  Many of the Marines featured in the Vietnam Gallery either in pictures or on a video were in fact class mates of mine in the C&SC class of 1975-1967.  So, there were good cemented ties to the Corps.

 What is your favorite memory at the Museum?

Favorite memories at the museum is hard to answer. I've been privileged to provide many tours to various groups and individuals during my museum duty time.  My memories are largely composed of those coming from the various tours, tour groups and individuals of all ranks who have been a part of my effort to display what the Corps is all about.

What is your favorite gallery/artifact in the Museum?

My favorite gallery is the Korean War gallery.  I was a high school student during that war and I followed it very intensely.  I was also assigned to Korea on two occasions and have a great fondness and like for the Korean people.   In that gallery, I can almost feel the sense of the war and its impact on the people and the military.  Being assigned as a Battalion Commander to a unit near the DMZ in the 1980s also adds a heightened awareness to what that war was like. I personally like to view and read about the various iconic flags in the various galleries.

Is there anything you'd like to add?

Volunteering has been a significant part of my retired life. This is only one part of that effort. I guess one could say military life has been in my being from the day I was a military cadet through my active duty life to supporting the varying services during the second phase of my post-military days as a defense contractor.

Thank you for your service, Frank!  And thank you for volunteering at the Museum!

  ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#usmcmuseum #volunteer #docent  #usmc #marinecorps #veteran #marine

Comments